March 3rd – 9th is endometriosis awareness week!
Endometriosis is a long-term condition where tissue similar to the lining of the womb grows in other places, such as the ovaries and fallopian tubes. 1 in 10 women have endometriosis during their reproductive years; yet, with it being a chronic disease it is difficult to diagnose. It can take anywhere between 4 and 11 years for women to receive the correct diagnosis.
To contribute to its awareness, we have complied a list of great resources to educate, help and offer support to anyone struggling with endometriosis – all linked below. We also have a new podcast episode with Chloe Hannigan all about her own experience.
This week’s VetChat episode is part of our series on supporting and empowering women in veterinary, hosted by Kathryn Bell. In this episode, we are once again focusing on the topic of endometriosis as part of endometriosis awareness week. Joining Kathryn is Chloe Hannigan, Director at VetYogi Ltd.
In this episode, Kathryn and Chloe discuss the topic of endometriosis and Chloe’s personal story. 1/10 women have endometriosis in their reproductive years, yet many take years to be officially diagnosed. Chloe shares her story about discovering symptoms from as young as 10 years old and her experience with all of the tests she needed to understand her pain. They discuss the mental health impacts that come with endometriosis and the importance of not suffering in silence. Chloe also shares how much yoga has helped with pain relief and overall wellbeing.
Listen to the episode here.
- Endometriosis.org is the global platform which links all stake holders in endometriosis
- Endo Black, Inc. is a black-women-led organisation advocating for African American women and women of colour affected by endometriosis
- Endometriosis News is a news and information website about the disease
- QENDO provides support, education and awareness for any one affected by endometriosis, adenomyosis, PCOS or infertility across Australia and New Zealand
- The Endometriosis Association of Ireland was formed to provide information and support for women with endometriosis
- Bloominuterus.com is a blog about endometriosis, its causes, symptoms and other related issues. The author, Lisa, also shares her own story. Links can be found for those who wish to delve deeper into specific points and topics related to the disease
- The Endometriosis Foundation of America strives to increase disease recognition, provide advocacy, facilitate expert surgical training, and fund landmark endometriosis research.
- Endometriosis UK offers support and information to help understand the disease